Well, we got a little snow this morning - and I mean just that - a little. Then it got a little warmer and the snow turned to drizzle, and most of the white is gone now. However, being London, this may well be all the snow we get, so it's worth putting up my little snowman. Should we get a big dumping of snow between now and Christmas, there's always a sledge square I could put up!
Alex and I were up in town today due to his Maths Masterclass and a little Christmas shopping. We didn't go look at all the windows - saving that for our annual trip - but there were decorations everywhere, so the bauble is in honour of that...
Olivia chose this one this morning with the proviso that she could change it if it snowed today - it didn't. I didn't really expect it to, though it's plenty cold out there. The colour is truer in the shot below - and look! we are nearly at the end of the second row, already. Where does the time go?
Well, I can't even tell you the last time I stitched on this before this week - last year I had intended to, but wasn't very well and then just couldn't face it. This year, I was feeling cross-stitchy again, and Christmassy, too, so I pulled it out to work on. I don't have a before picture, but most of the work wouldn't show much anyway, as I did a bunch of fiddly things in the middle, mainly:
I filled in (mostly; I am missing the final colour for this) and outlined the end of this bell pull.
I outlined the end of this bell pull, where it sits on the blue dress. And filled in some missing stitches in the red sleeve - it was only one colour, so I must have been missing it before and have bought it since.
I outlined the blue angels hand (there are actually a few stitches still missing in her thumb, which I need to go back to) - and a few stitches in the collar of her robe.
And then I started on a new row of red in the border. I'm going to work on the red border next, so next week the progress should be a bit more visible. It's actually not all that far off being finished, though I doubt it will happen this year. All the central bit is stitched, except a few stitches here and there (and some beads in the head-dresses), so it's really just the border to finish off. I say "just", as though it can be used in that context!
I'm sure I've shown lots of APCs (Altered Playing Cards) which I have made for other people in various themes, and I think I showed, a while back, a set of butterfly themed cards which I've collected. Those were largely part of a specific swap series aimed at collecting a butterfly deck. This deck, which features birds, was accumulated over a longer period, through a series of individual swaps, Pick-a-theme swaps and other situations. These are the diamonds. I didn't request specific birds or a specific style, so that part is just down to the artist making the card. I did receive a few cards which featured crows or ravens or similar birds, and those I moved over to another deck I am collecting - one with exclusively crows/ravens (or other corvidae). I'll try to show the other suits in the next few weeks!
Once again, it's December, and time for me to put up my quilted advent calendar. We really enjoy this advent calendar, even though it looks a little bare at the beginning of December. Today's choice of piece is the wreath. I often start off with this one, as I usually hang a wreath on the door on December 1st as well, so it's a thematic choice. Not all the choices are thematic. Sometimes, it's just whatever we feel like putting up. There are more pieces than squares on the calendar so a few always get left off. Each piece is about 3.5 inches square - they were paper foundation pieced from a pattern by Meadow Lily Bridge.
These again are two sets of cards which I was the last player to add something to, after two others worked on them. With the music cards, I added an instrument and a bit of German foil scrap - which I am running out of. Must order some more, if only I could find a reasonably priced supplier...
This card had a really interesting background texture, so I didn't want to cover that up - that said, it was quite blank when I received it, so I felt it needed soemthing substantial added. These bugs (and a bird) are partially transparent, which helps keep the background in the foreground. So to speak.
Many moons ago (or a little less) I sent off a centre block to start out a quilt for the Cotton Robin round robin. One of the players had some trouble along the way, so it took a little while longer than expected for my piece to return home, but it did finally land, surprising me when it did as I'd kind of forgotten about it. It's really sweet, isn't it? The centre block (just the bird with the pale blue background) was a block from the Block Lotto - I won a set of bird blocks a long while back. I still have quite a few. Really must do something with them...
A couple of finished sets of Round Robin ATCs - these were both instances where I was the final player to add something. in both cases, I added lettering (I think that's my motto -when in doubt, add letters. I have a large collection of letters!)
Three sets of round robin cards here, all three where I was the final player (third) to add something. The eskimo cards didn't need much as they were already quite full - a few snowflakes did the trick.
These fish and chips cards just needed to be identifed as such - gotta love a bit of lettering!
And this fashionable lady really need some washi tape and a huge newspaper flower. (The lefthand card isn't really sliced off at the top - the scan is just a bit wonky....)